We know, New York, it’s cold out there. Not just your average winter day, but the kind of day that makes you:
- Spend the morning hours on Kayak in a last ditch effort for hacker fares to any city over 30 degrees.
- Research average monthly rents in Miami and Los Angeles (which in turn makes you all the more nauseated that you actually pay exorbitantly to be tortured by this arctic freeze).
- Reinforce your belief that the Seamless delivery guys are actually the hardest working people in New York.
Here’s the silver lining:
- Acceptable winter attire during these days includes blanket coats (you know, the kind that look like you were too lazy to get dressed so you made a toga out of your duvet) and Ugg boots (we know, we know, they’re so 2006).
- There is no yummier winter drink than a hot toddy. And they couldn’t be any easier to make.
Here are two easy toddies to keep you warmed up on this cold day.
Classic Hot Toddy
- 1.5 ounces bourbon (I love using a sweeter, corn-forward bourbon like Maker’s Mark so I don’t have to use as much honey)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of 1/3 lemon
- Hot water
- Cinnamon, cloves and star anise
To prepare, add bourbon, honey and lemon to a mug and mix until honey is dissolved. Top with hot water. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, cloves, and/or star anise.
Hot Spiced Apple Toddy
- 1.5 ounces Cognac
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Apple cider, warmed
To prepare, add Cognac, syrup and lemon to mug and mix until incorporated. Top with piping hot cider. Garnish with an apple slide or lemon peel.